Andrea M. Ewart, Esq. Bio
DevelopTradeLaw, LLC was founded by Andrea M. Ewart, Esq. to provide custom-tailored legal and business solutions to companies doing business internationally. Andrea is an experienced international trade and customs attorney and policy advisor.
Andrea’s writing has…
Articles for association, business, and trade journals and newsletter
DevelopTradeLaw, LLC was founded by Andrea M. Ewart, Esq. to provide custom-tailored legal and business solutions to companies doing business internationally. Andrea is an experienced international trade and customs attorney and policy advisor. A critical thinker, with a demonstrated history of successfully developing and implementing sustainable and dynamic trade programs. A happy and satisfied client is her primary goal, making her a trustworthy partner for your business.
Andrea began her practice with the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm of Holland & Knight LLP, where she counseled and represented clients on U.S. customs regulations, including preferential tariff programs; US export control laws; US trade sanctions; and other related legislation, such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
Operating DevelopTradeLaw, LLC since 2003, Andrea has counseled and represented the interests of businesses, governments, and entrepreneurs on a wide range of issues affecting international trade. These include customs law and enforcement, U.S. export control laws, U.S. trade sanctions and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). She has had success in using preferential trade programs to minimize trade costs, support market expansion, and providing contractual support for international transactions. During her years of consulting experience she has provided legal advice and support to start-ups and other companies entering international business.
Andrea is admitted to the Washington D.C., Maryland, and the Florida Bars, and the U.S. Supreme Court Bar. She received her JD from the University of Miami School of Law, which she attended as a Harvey Reid scholar. She earned an M.A. in International Studies from the University of Miami and her B.A. from the Patrice Lumumba People’s Friendship University in Moscow, Russia. She has successfully taken the U.S. customs broker exam; and is a native English speaker and conversant in Russian and French. She is an active member of several professional organizations and a former President of the Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT).
An accomplished speaker and writer, Andrea applies her practical experience on trade to the issues that affect businesses and their bottom line. Her workshops on the “Legal Do’s and Don’ts of Doing Business Internationally” provide insightful and indispensable information and is widely received by all her clients to develop their business.
- Outside counsel on export control — “deemed” exports — issues to major U.S. corporation;
- OFAC mitigation submissions; OFAC compliance policy documents;
- Successful filing of U.S. Customs petitions and protests;
- Work on customs compliance and export control manuals;
- Analysis of impact of trade preferences on specific imports;
- Preparation of contracts to support international transactions;
- Consulting assignments for foreign governments and regional organizations on such issues as:
- Analysis and application of WTO agreements, regional economic integration and free trade agreements
- Assessment of a country’s legal and regulatory framework for consistency with WTO commitments and other international treaty obligations
- Policy, legislative/regulatory, institutional and infrastructural components of trade facilitation
- Legislative and regulatory drafting to implement WTO and other international treaty commitments and to create an internationally competitive business environment.
- Trade policy development and trade negotiation
- Delivery of workshops and seminars
- Preparation of studies and reports
RECENT BOOKS & ARTICLES:
International Business: Doing Business Without Borders, co-authored with A.C. Foster, Kendall Hunt Publishing Co., 2014. Available here.
Author of DevelopTradeLaw blog on trade policy and issues of particular relevance to developing countries and to small businesses.
Would an EU-Mercosur Deal Bring Big Benefits? Latin America Advisor, March 19, 2018.
Our Food Smells Different: Insights for International Food Traders, The Network Journal, Spring 2017, p. 54.